Friday, January 18, 2013

Kindle News: Paperwhite Software Update v5.3.3 is ready


Kindle Paperwhite Software Upgrade to v5.3.3

I saw an alert from Paul Biba on Twitter about this update for the Kindle Paperwhite (US)   (UK Paperwhite: here)

From the Amazon US and UK update pages
"We have a new, free software update available for Kindle Paperwhite. The software update will be delivered wirelessly when connected to Wi-fi. This update includes optimizations for your Kindle’s performance, image viewing, registration and Wi-fi connectivity."

Note that keeping your Kindle connected to a Wi-Fi network will drain your battery faster.  So, once you've got the update "over the air," put the Paperwhite back to "Airplane Mode ON" - which turns Wireless Off (unless they have finally put the "Wireless Off" and "On" back on the front menu as they just did for the Kindle Touch recently and removed the 'airplane' icon).

Only if you'd rather not wait - DOWNLOADING and transferring the Update via USB
US:  Go to the Kindle Paperwhite Software Update v5.3.0 download section to get the instructions for the download and transfer to your Kindle via USB:
UK:  Go to the same for the UK-only page



  For daily free ebooks, check the following links:
Temporarily-free books - Non-classics
USA: by:
   Publication Date  
   Bestselling   High-ratings

UK: PubDate   Popular

The Kindle Daily Deal

What is 3G? and "WiFi"?       Battery Care

Highly-rated under $1
,  Newest: $1-$2, $2-$3
Most Popular Free K-Books
U.S. & Int'l (NOT UK):
   Top 100 free
UK-Only:
   Top 100 free

Guide to finding Free Kindle books and Sources.

USEFUL for your Kindle Keyboard (U.S. only, currently):
  99c Notepad 1.1,   99c Calculator,
  99c Calendar,   99c Converter

  *Click* to Return to the HOME PAGE.  Or click on the web browser's BACK button Below are ways to Share this post if you'd like others to see it.
-- The Send to Kindle button works well only on Firefox currently.

Send to Kindle


(Older posts have older Kindle model info. For latest models, see CURRENT KINDLES page. )
If interested, you can also follow my add'l blog-related news at Facebook and Twitter
Questions & feedback are welcome in the Comment areas (tho' spam is deleted). Thanks!

9 comments:

  1. Do you know if the update adds next chapter/last chapter functionality to the Paperwhite? I was distressed to find it didn't have it, as the Kindle Touch does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carmen, unfortunately, the Paperwhite update doesn't include the Next/Last Chapter swipe-access. Just tried it...

      Delete
  2. There's also a weird glitch on Paperwhite where if you make a note, it automatically highlights the word the note is on - this is not the case on my DX or on the desktop or iPhone apps of the Kindle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James, I hadn't noticed. I do have a harder time highlighting just what I want, with the Papermate.

      Re the highlighted word, in some ways I think I like that because I can more easily see where I've made a note when the superscript note number is so small I sometimes wondered where I'd made it. On the other hand, the Notes option tells us.

      Strangely maybe, I highlight the word(s) the note relates to before I choose the Note option. It'll be interesting to see if that glitch disappears on the next update.

      Delete
    2. Kindle Touch and Paperwhite do not let you position a 'cursor' like the non-touch Kindles: you have to select a word or phrase before you can create a Note. It's analogous to adding a Note to a Highlight on previous Kindle. I guess they could have added another option to 'Add Note without Highlight' or something but that could be confusing.

      So two annotations are created: the highlight, and the note (shows superscript number).

      You can delete the highlight and leave the Note alone by going to the View Notes & Marks list (via Menu, or by tapping on the highlight to bring up Edit Note and tapping the VN&M button there). You can remove the Note and leave the highlight directly on Edit Note.

      While creating a Note requires one step, removing it takes two steps, since two annotations are created.



      Delete
    3. I still haven't found anything different. I guess the KNT got an update also, no new features, just 'performance' enhancements.

      Delete
    4. I agree re the highlighting and I personally prefer to have what I put the note TO, to be highlighted, so it makes sense to me. Thanks for pointing out we can delete the highlight afterwards if we want, while leaving the note intact and vice versa!

      I haven't found anything different either. Things seem to function pretty well though. I am using it more, as sometimes it is such a respite from my overstimulating KFHD and Samsung tablets. It's a beautiful piece that's very light and I keep appreciating it more. Two friends who live elsewhere bought one for their households this week and I've heard from one who said it replaced their KFire for reading and they love it.

      My pale discolorations in low light have disappeared. I can see traces of it only in rooms with no lights on at all.

      Delete
  3. They delivered this update to my kindle silently and I'm not very happy about it. Over the past couple of weeks my paperwhite hasn't been as responsive as in the past so I thought I update it. That's when I found it was already done and explains the different feel to it..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James, I've not had a slowdown after my update.

      What I'd do in your case is hold in the power button for about 21 seconds (keep holding it in even after it shuts off) and then release it and go away for 10 minutes.

      The Paperwhite will do a reboot of its configuration, and it's likely that any memory confusion will be fixed by that. Could you try it and let me know? Thanks.

      Delete

NOTE: TO AVOID SPAM being posted instantly, this blog uses the blogger.com "DELAY" feature.

Am often away much of the day, and postings won't show up right away. Posts done to use referrer-links may never show up.

Usually, am online enough to release comments within a day though, so the hard-to-read match-text tests for commenting won't be needed this way.

Feedback and questions are welcome. Thanks for participating.

Technical Problems?
If you're having problems leaving a Comment, Google's blogger-help asks that you clear the 'blogger.com' cookies on your browser's Tools or Options menu bar and that will fix the Comment-box problems (until they have a permanent fix).

IF that doesn't work either, then UNcheck the "keep me signed in" box -- Google-help says that should allow your comment to post (it's a workaround to a current bug).
Apologies for the problems.

TIP: There's a size limit. If longer than 3500 characters or so, in a text editor, make two posts out of it.

[Valid RSS]